Covid-19 Fraud Defence Solicitors | Furlough Fraud
Top ranked Criminal Law solicitors and barristers at representing clients facing investigation or prosecution for Coronavirus (COVID-19) HMRC Fraud & Furlough Fraud
If you or your business is under investigation or have recently been charged with HMRC fraud in relation to the relief offered by the Government (such as the furlough scheme) during the COVID 19 pandemic, it is vital that you secure expert legal representation as early as possible.
If HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) suspect that you or your business has defrauded the Government’s Job Retention and Furlough Scheme, an in-depth investigation will take place, which may result in a prosecution and custodial (prison) sentence. To speak with one of our specialist fraud defence lawyers, and to understand how we can assist, please call us on 0330 818 9847 or complete our Contact Form.
Our law firm is ranked amongst the top tier of law firms in the United Kingdom with a top ranking in the category of Crime (which includes Driving Offence), the highest ranking that can achieved in the Chambers Guide.
The Legal 500 guide describes Kang & Co Solicitors as being “well adept at tailoring its resources to an individual case and investing heavily for the client. Legal advice is honest and the team always takes into consideration the views of the client.”
As a result of the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic, the Government introduced the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme in order to support UK businesses, workers and the economy during the lockdown. The Furlough Scheme enabled employers to claim up to 80% of workers salaries from the Government in the event the business did not require the worker due to a temporary closure of the business or a reduction in trade.
The scheme has evolved, and the rules have been amended since it was initially implemented, which could result in some employers potentially facing investigation or prosecution for claiming funds from HMRC which they should not have, which is commonly known now as Furlough Fraud.
There are several ways in which a business or business owner could face prosecution for furlough scheme fraud however, the more common circumstances in which HMRC may take enforcement action include:
- Not paying employees even though the business has received the necessary funds from HMRC;
- Employers entering into transactions with the worker which reduces the wages below the amount claimed;
- Overclaiming from HMRC;
- Requiring employees to undertake work when they are receiving furlough pay from HMRC;
- Claiming for workers that are no longer employees of the business.
Sentence for Furlough Fraud
An offence of fraud (such as furlough fraud) committed against the state is a very serious offence and is likely to result in a prison sentence, depending upon the individual circumstances and value of the alleged fraud.
Recent News Coverage of Furlough Fraud
The first arrest of this nature occurred in July 2020 when a Solihull man was arrested over £495,000 ‘furlough fraud’.
The arrest in Solihull is thought to be the first relating to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS). Computers were seized and funds frozen in the suspects business bank account.
Paying Privately for Legal Representation
We have been covering only private client criminal cases for many years and the benefits to our clients are clear. Our clients receive a much higher level of legal expertise and attention, because they are funding their cases privately. This enables us to dedicate more time in preparing the case, compared with firms that may also offer legal aid. Legal aid lawyers (Duty Solicitors) are often over-worked and are covering more cases than they should, as the nature of their work is not profitable, and this can result in your case not receiving the time and attention it deserves.
Our private client solicitors are specialists in their field, have significant experience and will have dealt with other cases like yours in the past and will know the best strategies to achieve a not guilty verdict.
Advantages of Paying Privately for a Specialist Criminal Defence Lawyer
- Expertise: There are a very limited number of law firms throughout the country that only accept criminal fraud cases on a private fee-paying basis, these lawyers will usually only accept such cases because they possess superior legal knowledge and expertise.
- Communication: Paying for legal representation privately will usually result in better and more frequent communication with your Solicitor, Barrister and Legal Team. Lawyers defending fraud cases paid privately will usually respond to e-mails and phone calls quickly.
- Preparation: The amount of time a lawyer spends preparing a case and considering the evidence will have an impact upon the result. Paying privately will ensure that the lawyer can spend enough time on case preparation, which will have a positive impact on the overall outcome of the case. We prepare thoroughly for each case.
- Service: Clients that instruct lawyers via private funds will receive a substantially better service than those using legal aid.
- Quality: The overall quality of legal representation from private client solicitors is significantly superior.
- Consistency: We provide all our clients with consistency and continuity, the lawyer dealing with your case will be the same person from start to finish.
Our Agreed Fees for Private Crime cases start from;
£2,500 + VAT
We are a Leading National Private Client Criminal Defence Law Firm, that frequently receives 5-star reviews and positive feedback from satisfied clients on Trustpilot, Google Reviews and Yell.
Kang & Co Solicitors are also recognised as a Top Ranked Law Firm for Criminal Law by the prestigious Chambers & Partners legal guide and The Legal 500. This reputation has been developed by providing unrivalled expertise, practical advice, communication, and court advocacy.
If you choose to appoint us to defend your case, we guarantee that you will be provided with the best legal representation available, which in turn will provide you with the best chance of a successful result at Court.
Why Instruct Kang & Co Criminal Defence Lawyers?
Clients choose us to represent them for their criminal law case (such as furlough fraud) because of our excellent track record and understanding approach towards their case, we understand and appreciate the impact of a conviction on your professional and personal life.
We have an outstanding reputation in the industry and regularly receive positive feedback from our clients. Regardless of how serious or minor the offence, our team of skilled criminal law solicitors are well trained, and highly motivated to protect your rights. If you instruct us to defend your case, we will explain everything to you about your prosecution and will discuss your bespoke defence strategy with you in detail and will advise you on all the possible outcomes.
In addition to having our own in-house barristers and advocates, we also have strong working relationships with very senior members of the Bar (including KC’s) and other leading legal experts in their field who can form part of your legal defence team.
Birmingham Head Office
1 Victoria Square
330 High Holborn
Milton Keynes Office
Milton Keynes, MK9 1BP